Geoscientists without Borders® 2024 applications are now open
Geoscientists without Borders® applications are accepted twice each year. For the first round of 2024 the deadline is Friday, 15 March 2024, 11:45 PM CDT, USA.
A special call for mainland U.S. projects is also taking place on this round of applications. Project Leads (PIs) serving communities in greater Houston area by applying their geosciences skills to provide solutions to challenges such as Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) and Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) as well as other GWB’s thematic area of interest are invited to apply. See full list of our funded projects.
The first step in the application process is to complete a Letter of Inquiry (LoI) in English. This LoI outlines the purpose, team and project’s cost as well as organizational capacity, project needs, benefits, and technical merit. GWB’s newly created Technical Review Sub-committee (TRSC) will review LoIs after each deadline. If the TRSC would like to see a full proposal based on your LoI, you will be invited to complete the Phase II.
IMPORTANT: Please also download an MS Word LoI template to fill out and attach along with your online application.
The MS Word LoI template is listed on this page under ‘Resources’ with file name ‘Phase I Letter of Intent (LoI)’ as the very first link. Failure to fill and attach this template will lead to your application not getting considered. Please feel free to attach this template as part of your technical approach or CV to your online application. You may also send this filled out template directly to us at [email protected]. We will attach it your Phase I LoI application before sending it for evaluation.
The following restrictions apply to each project awards; please keep these in mind when completing your LoI:
- The maximum allowable award is USD $50,000.00 per year;
- Project Leads or Principal Investigators (PIs) may request funding for a project with duration of up to two (2) years’ limit;
- Awards may not be used to cover administrative costs not directly related to the project activities (indirect costs);
- PI must be established professionals in their areas of geosciences expertise. We cannot accept applications from undergraduate/early career professionals/student chapter members listed as PIs in the LoIs. PI’s CV is required to be included in the Phase I LoI;
- Projects must include student participation, especially local students from the project location. Engaging students and introducing them to the broad range of geosciences careers while also strengthening university programs in geophysics and geosciences is one of the primary goals of Geoscientists without Borders®;
- For-profit organizations are not eligible for funding. Applicants must be not-for-profit, charitable or higher educational organizations which are 501 (c) (3) or equivalent. Individuals are also not eligible to apply;
- Unexploded Ordnance (UXO) detection projects are excluded;
- Projects that include political lobbying, proselytizing, or other activities that are not pertinent to the mission of the Society of Exploration Geophysicists (SEG) or GWB program intent are not eligible for funding. This includes projects submitted by religious or political organizations.
Applicants completing Phase I applications that are selected for Phase II will be asked to submit a full project proposal.
Phase I Applications Selection Process
- Applications received by the deadlines will be reviewed during that cycle. Any applications received after the deadline will be invited to resubmit for GWB’s next call for applications.
- All Phase I applications will be screened by the SEG staff to determine compliance with eligibility and application requirements. Applications that meet initial requirements and are received by the published deadline will be forwarded to the evaluators for review.
- The evaluators will meet within four to six weeks after receipt of the applications.
- The evaluators will select applications that will be invited to submit a Phase II full proposal. GWB’s Phase II Proposals are by invitation only.
- Upon notification, applicants will have 30 calendar days to prepare and submit a Phase II full proposal under the guidelines provided.
- Applications will be judged after consideration of the following criteria:
- Humanitarian Benefit
- Student involvement and program diversity including partner relationships
- Use of geophysics and other geosciences
Previously Funded Applicants
- Previously funded applicants must complete their prior project reports. The application’s ‘Summary Section’ must summarize any prior work conducted in order to be considered for future funding.
- Previously funded projects/organizations that have not demonstrated measurable success or appropriate utilization of SEG Foundation funds will not be considered for future funding.
- SEG’s support of ongoing projects will be usually limited to two years. An applicant may apply for additional time (no cost extension) over the two year limit if special or unforseen circumstance can be demonstrated.
Please email at [email protected] for more information or questions.
- Phase I Letter of Intent (LoI)
- Step-by-Step Application Process Instructions
- Attributes of Winning GWB Proposals
- In-Kind Donations
- Patriot Act Requirements
- Grant Agreement and Sample Waiver
- Photo Submission Guidelines
- SEG HSSE Policy
- HSSE Resources on the SEG Wiki
Sign up for our mailing list to stay current on projects and opportunities to support SEG’s humanitarian efforts.
Geoscientists without Borders® is not affiliated with Doctors Without Borders, which is a registered trademark of Bureau International de Médecins Sans Frontières.