The SEG/Chevron Student Leadership Symposium (SLS) focuses on leadership, teamwork, and communication skills building for 50 student participants who are all active officers of their Society of Exploration Geophysicists (SEG) Student Chapters.
Made possible with financial sponsorship from Chevron, the SEG/Chevron Student Leadership Symposium (SLS) provides an opportunity for chapter officers and nominated chapter members to participate in leadership coaching with Chevron staff, panel discussions, real-world problem solving activities, along with collaborating with other chapters, sharing cultural experiences, and attending the annual IMAGE convention.
IMAGE ’23 will be held in Houston, Texas, USA 28 August–1 September 2023. Students awarded the SLS travel grant will be provided airfare, lodging, per diem, and registration to IMAGE. Students will attend a workshop session with Chevron and SEG staff before the start of the convention. Awardees will be required to complete a poster session discussing their chapter accomplishments for 2022.
More information will be provided at a later date.
All active chapters are encouraged to nominate one member to apply for this great learning experience. It is expected that awardees will take what they have learned from the event and share with the chapter.
- The applicant must be an active and current SEG Student Chapter Officer
- The applicant must be nominated by his/her fellow Student Chapter Officer(s), and only one application is accepted per Chapter
- The applicant must be pursuing a geoscience degree and have above average grades
- The applicant must not have graduated by the time the SLS occurs
- The applicant must not have participated in a previous SLS
- The applicant must be in compliance with the SEG Student and Early Career/OFAC sanctions compliance procedures and policies
“I attended the Chevron-SEG Student Leadership Symposium in 2017 and it was an incredible experience that exceeded my expectations. The Symposium provided a unique opportunity to network with industry professionals, gain valuable insights into the oil and gas industry, and develop essential leadership skills. It was a truely inspiring event that left me feeling motivated and empowered to pursue my goals.”John Intfen, Mid-Continent Business Unit, Asset Development Geologist, Chevron
How to Apply
Applications open 6 November 2023 and close 19 February 2024.
All applicants will be required to submit the following documentation:
- Recommendation letter in support of the applicant from a faculty advisor or an individual who is familiar with the applicant’s academic achievement and potential
- Academic transcripts from college level institution(s)
- The last three years of academic transcripts (Graduate students will need to provide their undergraduate transcript and undergraduate students may be required to submit high school transcripts)
- Four essay questions, 100-300 words each, explaining the applicant’s motivation for pursuing the opportunity and their qualifications and preparation for the program
Submitting plagiarized or falsified information at the time of admission is grounds for rejection of the application, withdrawal of any offer of acceptance, cancellation of enrollment, dismissal, or other appropriate disciplinary action.
Contact [email protected] for more information about applicant requirements and guidelines.