An introduction to geophysical fundamentals with case histories. This course will introduce the learners to basic geophysical concepts, applications and decision analysis workflows, followed by case histories illustrating the business value of integrated geophysical apps in the oil and gas and energy evolution industries.
This course is designed to identify a specific operational problem and provide an integrated geophysical tool to help solve that problem. The course will address issues such as:
- Mis-located leases and various Datums
- Drill hazards: Lost circulation, landing in the zone or getting stuck
- Quality Seismic Imaging: Visualizing, interpreting, planning, and encountering the optimal reservoir zones
- Passive monitoring for Multistage hydraulic fractures, production results and ISM?
- Legacy oil fields: Sustaining the profitability
- CCS Project management: Where and when to apply geophysical application
- Reprocessing seismic for optimal land evaluations
- Geothermal: Lessons learned from the Petroleum industry
- Helium: Use geophysical apps to high-grade your Helium exploration plans
The course is designed for early-stage geophysicists, early to mid-stage geologists and engineers in the petroleum and energy evolution industries. The fundamentals section provides the learner with an understanding of geophysical technology, decision analysis, and limitations. The case histories take a textbook application, illustrate how the tool is used and give a practical use for the technology. The advanced level participants will benefit from the case histories that look at a business problem or project plan and learn how a geophysical application integrated into the project process can provide a value-added solution.
Prerequisites (Knowledge/Experience/Education required)
Who should attend?
The course is ideal for geoscientists, engineers, team leaders, and other energy evolution professionals. The course content is supported by lessons learned in the petroleum and near-surface engineering industries. It is also suitable for geothermal and CCS professionals wanting to understand basic geophysical fundamentals and learn about the latest applied geophysical technologies and workflows. The case histories give the learner a qualitative learning experience without the fear of having to understand the mathematical details.
- Introduction and Expectations
- Geophysical Fundamentals
- Seismic Acquisition: 2D and 3D
- Non-Seismic Methods: HRAM, ER
- What is geophysics?: Cross-Correlation, Resolution, Attributes, and Inversion
- Decision Analysis, Reliability and Relevance
- Early Project Planning Geophysics
- Datum, LiDAR, Drill Hazards, Near Surface Geophysics
- Integrated Geophysical Apps used in Seismic Interpretation
- Conventional and unconventional oil field development
- Hydrocarbon and helium exploration
- Completion Geophysics
- Microseismic, Tiltmeter, DAS and DTS
- Induced Seismicity Monitoring (ISM)
- CCS Project Management
- The learner will know which application to use and when to apply it to their project’s business problem (i.e., Drill hazards) using their “enhanced geophysical toolbox.”
- The leaner will be able to recommend which passive seismic monitoring tools to deploy to provide the optimum Induced Seismicity Monitoring (ISM) system for their Petroleum or CCS project.
- The learner can plan their CCS projects from concept to abandonment, incorporating specific geophysical tools with the project workflows.
- The learner will know which fibre optic tools to apply to determine the efficiency of their completed wells.
- Having seen the case histories, the learner will now have the confidence to reprocess old seismic for mitigating risks and identifying hidden opportunities.