In order to guarantee that all deserving individuals and organizations receive consideration for appropriate recognition, all nominations must be received by 1 January to allow the Honors and Awards Committee enough time for appropriate investigation, deliberation, and recommendations to the SEG Board of Directors.
Nominations Should Be Sent To
SEG Honors and Awards Committee: [email protected]
Please include a brief summary describing the specific achievement or contribution that you think merits formal recognition by SEG and an up-to-date curriculum vitae or resumé. Supporting information and letters of recommendation are very useful to the committee.
The guidelines below are not necessarily rigid nor all-inclusive, but the Committee hopes they will be helpful to those wanting to nominate deserving SEG members for awards.
- Any SEG member can nominate other SEG members for SEG awards. However, seldom is an award made on the basis of one or two nomination letters. Similarly, multiple support letters that have identical or almost identical wording dilute the strength of a nominee’s dossier. Several heartfelt substantive support letters make honoring an individual much easier for the Committee. If you know someone who is truly deserving, gather additional support to help ensure the nomination can be evaluated fairly by Committee members who may not know the nominee nor her/his accomplishments.
- Self-nominations or nomination campaigns that are instigated or promoted by a nominee are discouraged. However, supplying information to help the nominators in the form of publications, achievements, and an up-to-date curriculum vitae or resumé is helpful and makes the accuracy of information much easier for the Committee to confirm.
- Nomination letters should clearly state for which award the nominee should be considered. Award descriptions are readily available on the SEG website. The more closely the nomination matches the relevant award description, the easier it is for the Committee to evaluate the nominations. Single-sentence unsupported nominations are not helpful.
- The Committee will consider nominees for the award for which they are submitted, but has some flexibility to move nominees to other award categories as seems prudent. The Committee will not solicit additional letters on behalf of a nominee, but rather decides each case based on the material submitted.
- The Committee’s deliberations are confidential, and Committee members generally recuse themselves from deliberations involving nominees with whom they have a close personal or professional relationship.
Your timely input is vital to this important function of the SEG. If you have any questions, please send them via e-mail. Thank you very much for your assistance in making SEG’s Honors and Awards Program a meaningful and representative activity of the Society.