One of the most important functions of a professional society is honoring those who have made significant contributions to the profession and to science. In this episode we highlight two of the 2018 Honors and Awards winners: Albert Tarantola and Mrinal Sen.
Albert Tarantola was awarded the 2018 Maurice Ewing Medal, the highest honor given by the SEG to a person who has made distinguished contributions both to the advancement of the science and to the profession of exploration geophysics.
In a first for the Maurice Ewing Medal, Albert Tarantola was awarded the honor posthumously. Roel Snieder speaks with host Andrew Geary on his colleague receiving this honor.
Mrinal Sen was awarded the 2018 Virgil Kauffman Gold Medal, an honor given to a person that has made an outstanding contribution to the advancement of the science of geophysical exploration as manifested during the previous five years.
Click on the links above to read their full biographies on the SEG Wiki. Read the full citations of all the award winners on the SEG Digital Library.
2018 Honors and Awards
- Maurice Ewing Medal – Albert Tarantola
- Craig J. Beasley Award for Social Contribution – Paul D. Bauman (Note: Paul will be featured on a future episode)
- Virgil Kauffman Gold Medal – Mrinal Kanti Sen
- Reginald Fessenden Award – John Burg and Necati Gülünay
- Life Membership – Huasheng Zheng and Xianhuai Zhu
- J. Clarence Karcher – Matteo Ravasi, Yunyue Elita Li, and Tieyuan Zhu
- Special Commendation – Maria Angela Capello
- Distinguished Achievement – Bureau of Economic Geology
- Honorary Membership – Fred Aminzadeh
- Cecil Green Enterprise Award – Daniel Herold, Robin Herold, and Peter Flanagan (Parallel Geoscience Corporation)
- Outstanding Educator – Hendratta Ali and Kristina Keating
- Best Paper in The Leading Edge: "Operational deployment of compressive sensing systems for seismic data acquisition", Charles C. Mosher, Chengbo Li, Frank D. Janiszewski, Laurence S. Williams, Tiffany C. Carey, and Yongchang Ji
- 2017 Best Paper in GEOPHYSICS: “Exploiting surface consistency for surface-wave characterization and mitigation — Part 1: Theory and 2D examples” and “Part 2: Application to 3D Data,” Christine E. Krohn and Partha S. Routh
- 2017 Best Paper in Interpretation: “Time-variant wavelet extraction with a local-attribute-based time-frequency decomposition for seismic inversion,” Rui Zhang and Sergey Fomel
- Top Oral Paper Presented at SEG’s 87th Annual Meeting: “Probabilistic seismic inversion using pseudo-wells,” Patrick Connolly and Mark O'Brien
- Top Poster Paper Presented at SEG’s 87th Annual Meeting: “New global lake gravity from advances in satellite altimetry processing,” Samuel Cheyney, Kirsten Fletcher, Chris Green, and Simon Campbell
- Top Student Oral Paper Presented at SEG’s 87th Annual Meeting: “Removing numerical dispersion artifacts from reverse time migration and full-waveform inversion,” Erik Koene
- Top Student Poster Paper Presented at SEG’s 87th Annual Meeting: “Semiautomatic seismic well ties and log data interpolation,” Sean Bader
Seismic Soundoff is sponsored by the SEG Wiki - the place to find hundreds of biographies of geoscientists, open-access tutorials, and ongoing translations of SEG's best-selling book, Robert Sheriff's Encyclopedic Dictionary. Explore the world’s first online, geophysics encyclopedia.
Interviews: Roel Snieder and Mrinal Sen
Original music by Zach Bridges.
This episode was hosted, edited, and produced by Andrew Geary.
The SEG podcast team: Jennifer Crockett, Ally McGinnis, and Mick Swiney.
If you enjoy the show, please leave us a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts. Your reviews bring a smile to our faces. Follow Seismic Soundoff at https://seg.org/podcast to hear new episodes.
Other Listening Options
Download this Seismic Soundoff