One of the most important functions of a professional society is honoring those who have made significant contributions to the profession and to science. In this episode we highlight two of the 2017 Honors and Awards winners: Samuel Gray and Manika Prasad.
Samuel Gray was awarded the 2017 Maurice Ewing Medal, the highest honor given by the SEG to a person who has made distinguished contributions both to the advancement of the science and to the profession of exploration geophysics.
Manika Prasad was awarded the 2017 Virgil Kauffman Gold Medal, an honor given to a person that has made an outstanding contribution to the advancement of the science of geophysical exploration as manifested during the previous five years.
2017 Honors and Awards
- Maurice Ewing Medal: Samuel Gray
- Virgil Kauffman Gold Medal: Manika Prasad
- Honorary Membership: Yaoguo Li
- Honorary Membership: Carlos Torres-Verdín
- Reginald Fessenden Award: Andrew Curtis
- Cecil Green Enterprise Award: Ian N. MacLeoud, Geosoft
- Distinguished Achievement Award: University of British Columbia - Geophysical Inversion Facility
- Special Commendation: Julie E. Shemeta
- Life Membership: Anna C. Shaughnessy
- Life Membership: Alison Weir Small
- Life Membership: Robert F. Talley
- Life Membership: Bangliu Zhao
- J. Clarence Karcher Award: Sjoerd A. L. de Ridder
- J. Clarence Karcher Award: Waruntorn (Jane) Kanitpanyacharoen
- J. Clarence Karcher Award: Tristan van Leeuwen
- Outstanding Educator Award: Rosemary Knight
- Outstanding Educator Award: Scott Smithson
Read each award biography at the SEG Digital Library. Learn about past award winners on the SEG Wiki.
If you enjoy the show, please leave us a 5-star review on iTunes – your review helps others find the show. Subscribe to Seismic Soundoff on the podcast app of your choice to receive the latest episodes first.
Samuel Gray discusses how he developed his communication and presentation skills.
Samuel Gray explains the story behind the quote, "You don't have to be good to be the best."
The SEG Wiki is home to hundreds of biographies of key geoscientists, geophysical tutorials, and core content from the science of applied geophysics. Visit the SEG Wiki to learn how you can grow the world’s first online, geophysics encyclopedia.
Remember to renew your 2018 SEG membership by 28 February.
Interviews: Samuel Gray, Manika Prasad
This show was produced by Isaac Farley and hosted, edited, and produced by Andrew Geary.