This course deals with the analysis and application of the acoustic and elastic wave equations in exploration seismology. In particular, the course focuses on the finite-difference modeling of the full wave equation and its application to forward modeling and migration.
Entry level to Intermediate
Prerequisites (Knowledge/Experience/Education Required)
The course will show many examples for the seismic modeling and migration some with animations. The addition of elastic modeling and migration will require presenting the standard material on elastic waves. Students today should be comfortable with these ideas.
- Introduction to the acoustic and elastic wave equations
- Wave equation modeling: “The Numerical Ripple Tank”
- Wave equation modeling for interpretation analysis, including anisotropy and Q
- Acoustic reverse-time migration
- Poststack migration applications
- Prestack migration applications
- Data examples include Gulf of Mexico salt intrusions, offshore Newfoundland, Alberta and Wyoming overthrust plays
- New developments