The Society of Exploration Geophysics (SEG) Women’s Network is a community hosted by the SEG Women’s Network Committee (WNC). Created in 2011, the Women’s Network raises awareness of—and finds solutions for—the challenges women encounter in applied geophysics.
SEG Women’s Network committee Mission and Objectives
- Pursue diversity, inclusion, and equity in geoscience activities, promoting minority leadership while increasing their visibility and impact.
- Advise the SEG Board of Directors about remedial actions to reduce potential gaps associated with diversity, inclusion, and equity goals.
- Empower women geoscientists to promote their impact to business and academy.
- Help women geoscientists with soft skills to enhance their career development and leadership.
- Propose actions that help elevate diversity, inclusion, and equity within SEG worldwide.
- Mentor students and early career professionals in their transition into the workforce.
- Collaborate with SEG committees seeking for diversity, inclusion, and equity.
- Closely monitor SEG membership statistics to take actions to minimize deviations and obtain a diverse population worldwide.
As part of the 2017 WNC goals, which resulted in part from member feedback at the SEG Annual Meeting, the Women’s Network developed a mentoring portal. That mentoring portal is Mentoring365, and is available to all current SEG members. You can apply to serve as a mentor or be mentored at www.mentoring365.org.
“Full Spectrum” in The Leading Edge
Read about Women in Geophysics in featured articles and the regular “Full Spectrum” column in The Leading Edge.