The United Arab Emirates University (UAEU) and Al Ain City Municipality (AAM), in partnership with the Society of Exploration Geophysicists (SEG), are proud to announce the Sixth edition of the International Conference on Engineering Geophysics (ICEG).
The success of the first five editions of the ICEG was reflected by the number of participants and the great interest and positive feedback from both local authorities and the international geo-community working with geophysical methods applied to engineering, environmental, archaeological, geotechnical, and forensic problems. Overwhelming encouragement from this community led to the sixth edition and a decision to expand the fields of interest to a wider range of near surface-related specialties including: groundwater, time-lapse, security, seismicity, and geothermal. Beyond this 2021 event, this world-class series will permit sharing of the event with other regional partners that have equivalent enthusiasm for the application of geophysics to near-surface problems. In ICEG2019, we had a strong preference from companies in the region and many of the talks were focused on near-surface challenges in deeper exploration geophysics imaging.
The United Arab Emirates is building a sustainable, balanced, and diversified economy to ensure stability and prosperity with innovation and excellence as priorities. This conference has been designed and operated with those attributes and guidelines as drivers. These priorities speak to social responsibility and strongly signal the need for effective and technically sound engineering geophysics supporting regional growth. Therefore, the conscientious and rigorous application of engineering geophysics has become mandatory prior to approval of any construction project in Abu Dhabi Emirate.
The objectives of the ICEG 2021 will concentrate on global innovation, creativity, advances, and new approaches in the field of engineering/environmental geophysics and related fields. In addition to the core engineering/environmental and geotechnical focuses of this coming event, special sessions in related applications of archaeology, energy and forensic geophysics will be included.
Furthermore, international experts at the very cutting edge of their disciplines will deliver keynote presentations on their latest research, experiences, future goals for engineering/environmental geophysics, and raising public awareness on the critical role of near- surface geophysics.
- Haydar Baker - UAEU
- Rick Miller - Kansas Geological Survey
- Ala Aldahan, UAE University
- Chih-Ping Lin, National Chiao Tung University
- Christopher Leech, Geomatrix Earth Science Ltd
- George Apostolopoulos, National Technical University of Athens
- Hakim Saibi, UAE University
- Hitoshi Mikada, Kyoto University
- Jianghi Xia, Zhejiang University
- Jing Li, Jilin University
- John Bradford, Colorado School of Mines
- Khalid Alboushi, UAE University
- Niels Grobbe, University of Hawai'i at Manoa
- Reece Van Buren, SAGA (South African Geophysical Association)
- Steve Sloan, Engineer Research and Development Center
- Zhengyong Ren, Central China University
Anneke de Klerk
SEG Middle East
Telephone: +971 43712710
Email: [email protected]
Who Should Attend
This will be an outstanding venue and opportunity to explore the many applications of near-surface geophysics in this rapidly developing region. The mixture of attendees’ academic, research, government, and industry experience will provide the flavor, diversity, and challenges of regional problems, as well as insights into problems, technical innovations, and solutions from other areas around the globe. This is a must-attend meeting for those looking for business development opportunities in this very active and rapidly developing region, as well as researchers looking for truly unique challenges, where ground stability, infrastructure, and characterization cross paths with thousands of years of history and cultural development. Through information exchange and cultivation of collaborative relationships, academic and personal growth will no doubt be a principal benefit to all those that attend.
ICEG highly encourages international and regional students to participate in this much-anticipated conference. The top three (3) shortlisted students, selected by the organizing committee, will receive the two best oral presenters and one poster presenter awards.
Call for Abstracts
The technical committee invites submissions via the SEG website of extended abstracts, four (4) pages in length (including figures and references) under the following themes and topics:
General Topics/New Technologies Session Topics
- Engineering Geophysical Methods
- Near Surface Geophysics to Improve Exploration Geophysics
- Method Integration in Engineering Geophysics
- Developments in UAV Geophysical Survey
- AI and Machine Learning in Engineering Geophysics
- Advances in Acquisition and Sensor Technologies
- Advanced Geophysical Tomographic Methods
- Advanced Geophysical Imaging and Characterization Methods
- Monitoring: Passive, Time-lapse.
Geo-Civil Engineer Session Topics
- Geotechnical: Geophysical Determination of Properties & Parameters
- Non-destructive Testing on Pavement, Concrete, and Lining Structure
- Subsurface Target Delineation and Classification
- Geophysics to Support Underground Storage
Geo-Environmental Session Topics
- Geophysics and Climate Change
- Environmental Investigation and Remediation Monitoring
- Environmental Radioactivity and Remediation Methods
Geo-Hazard (Natural & Human-made) Sessions
- Disaster Mitigation Applications: landslides, voids, berms/levees/dams
- Earthquake studies
- Groundwater Management and Hydrogeophysics
- Geothermal Exploration
- Geophysics applied to Green Energy
- Mining Geophysics
- Archaeology and Forensic Geophysics
- Agricultural Geophysics
Special Sessions in Geophysics
- Planetary Near-Surface Geophysics
- Gas Hydrate
Exhibit & Sponsor
ICEG's First Virtual Exhibition
Due to the ongoing restrictions, the ICEG conference program and exhibition in 2021 will be delivered virtually, providing exhibitors a unique marketing opportunity and global reach.
Why should I exhibit virtually?
- Up to 6 exhibitors will be included in the technical program for a product showcase/demonstration followed by live Q&A.
- Export visitor analytics and connections at the click of a button
- The virtual exhibition will be open to the public, providing an opportunity to connect with a much wider audience on a global scale.
Benefits of Sponsoring the Conference
- Gain more visibility by getting a direct connection to your audience
- New sponsorship categories available to ensure there is several options for all companies - starting from as low as $1,500
- Increase brand visibility with an online global audience reach
- One of the most established geotechnical conferences running since 2011 with a consistent growth edition by edition
- Variety of sponsorship packages available to put you in the driver seat based on your budget and business goals
- Demonstrate your commitment and support through industry engagement during these extraordinary times
For a detailed list of exhibition and sponsorship opportunities, please email us at [email protected].
Innovation Awards for Geophysics
It is with great pleasure that the ICEG sponsors (UAE University and Al Ain City Municipality in collaboration with the SEG) announce an open invitation to all delegates of the 2021 ICEG Conference to participate in a peer-judged completion in search of significant contribution to applied near-surface geophysics. This award focuses on innovative contributions that substantially advance the application of geophysics to near-surface problems.
THE TOP THREE WINNERS OF THE COMPETITION WILL RECEIVE CASH PRICES OF US$10,000, US$7,000 AND US$5,000 RESPECTIVELY.
This competition is designed to both attract and recognize internationally renowned and respected researchers in near-surface geophysics and provide a unique opportunity for all in the near-surface geophysical community to judge for themselves some of the most monumental contributions of our time to our science and society. This is the first competition of its kind, and award winners will no doubt establish and solidify themselves as recognized leaders at the forefront of their field. Meeting attendees wishing to join a distinguished pool of candidates being considered for one of five finalist positions in the Innovation Award oral session should submit a paper and accompanying application, as described on the conference web page. The submission, review, and winner selection process will generally be as follows:
- Submit abstract via standard submission by deadline for conference abstracts
- Author sends separate email indicating desire to be considered for awards
- Technical committee reviews candidate abstracts for award and creates finalist list
- Selected authors will be requested to submit a white paper and reference letters
- Documents reviewed; five finalists selected to present at pre-conference session
- During pre-conference session, invited judges/reviewers evaluate presentations and materials and make recommendations
- Technical committee reviews recommendations and selects winner
- Awards will be presented during the opening ceremony
For Student Participation & Innovation Awards, please submit your abstract to [email protected].