21-24 Oct 2019
Al Ain, United Arab Emirates
The United Arab Emirates University (UAEU) and Al Ain City Municipality (AAM), in partnership with the Society of Exploration Geophysicists (SEG), are proud to announce the fifth edition of the International Conference on Engineering Geophysics (ICEG). This edition will take place 21–24 October 2019 on the grounds of the UAEU in the Conference Auditorium of the Crescent Building.
The success of the first four editions of the ICEG was reflected by the number of participants and the great interest and positive feedback from both local authorities and the international geo-community working with geophysical methods applied to engineering, environmental, archaeological, geotechnical, and forensic problems. Overwhelming encouragement from this community led to the fifth edition and a decision to expand the fields of interest to a wider range of near surface-related specialties including: groundwater, time-lapse, security, seismicity, and geothermal. Beyond this 2019 event, this world-class series will permit sharing of the event with other regional partners that have equivalent enthusiasm for the application of geophysics to near-surface problems.
The United Arab Emirates is building a sustainable, balanced, and diversified economy to ensure stability and prosperity with innovation and excellence as priorities. This conference has been designed and operated with those attributes and guidelines as drivers. These priorities speak to social responsibility and strongly signal the need for effective and technically sound engineering geophysics supporting regional growth. Therefore, the conscientious and rigorous application of engineering geophysics has become mandatory prior to approval of any construction project in Abu Dhabi Emirate.
The objectives of the ICEG 2019 will concentrate on global innovation, creativity, advances, and new approaches in the field of engineering/environmental geophysics and related fields. In addition to the core engineering/environmental and geotechnical focuses of this coming event, special sessions in related applications of archaeology, energy and forensic geophysics will be included. Furthermore, international experts at the very cutting edge of their disciplines will deliver keynote presentations on their latest research, experiences, future goals for engineering/environmental geophysics, and raising public awareness on the critical role of near-surface geophysics.
- Haydar Baker - UAEU
- Rick Miller - Kansas Geological Survey
- Ala Aldahan, United Arab Emirates University, UAE
- Aman Mwafy, United Arab Emirates University, UAE
- Chih-Ping Lin, National Chiao Tung University, Taiwan
- Christopher Leech, Geomatrix Earth Science Ltd. Bedfordshire, UK
- Hakim Saibi, United Arab Emirates University, UAE
- Hitoshi Mikada, Dept Civil and Earth Res. Engineering, Kyoto University, Japan
- Jianghi Xia, China University of Geosciences, China
- John Bradford, Geophysics Department Head, Colorado School of Mines, US
- John Lane, Hydrogeophysics Branch, Earth System Processes Div, US Geological Survey, US
- Khalid Al-Bloushi, United Arab Emirates University, UAE
- Nils Ryden, Lund University, Sweden and KTH Royal Institute of Technolog, Stockholm, Sweden
- Steve Sloan, Engineer Research and Development Center, Vicksburg, MS, USA
Who Should Attend
This will be an outstanding venue and opportunity to explore the many applications of near-surface geophysics in this rapidly developing region. The mixture of attendees’ academic, research, government, and industry experience will provide the flavor, diversity, and challenges of regional problems, as well as insights into problems and solutions from other areas around the globe. This is a must-attend meeting for those looking for business development opportunities in this very active and rapidly developing region, as well as researchers looking for truly unique challenges, where ground stability, infrastructure, and characterization cross paths with thousands of years of history and cultural development. Through information exchange and cultivation of collaborative relationships, academic and personal growth will no doubt be a principle benefit to all those that attend.
ICEG highly encourages international and regional students to participate in this much-anticipated conference. The top three (3) shortlisted students, selected by the organizing committee, will receive travel grants to participate in the conference. In addition, the ICEG committee will award the two best oral presenters and one poster presenter at the conference gala dinner on Wednesday, 23 October 2019.
Call for Contributions
Call for Contributions Deadline: 22 April 2019, 5:00 pm, Central Time
To submit a paper, please visit https://iceg2019.abstractcentral.com/.
The technical committee invites submissions via the SEG website of extended abstracts, four (4) pages in length (including figures and references) under the following topics:
- Engineering geophysical methods
- Near-surface geophysics to improve exploration geophysics (e.g. characterizing dunes)
- Time-lapse monitoring
- Unmanned geophysical survey (robotic/UAV)
- Advanced geophysical tomographic methods
- Anomaly delineation and classification
- Method integration/joint inversion
- Geohazards (natural & man-made)
- Groundwater/hydrogeophysics (frack water, contamination, injection-induced seismicity)
- Geothermal and underground storage: geophysical exploration and monitoring
- Soil characterization & pavement geoengineering
- Geotechnical: geophysical determination of properties and parameters
- Environmental radioactivity and remediation methods
- Machine learning/AI in near surface characterization, information value
Important: Late submissions will not be accepted. You will not be given the opportunity to resubmit a new version of your abstract after the deadline has passed.
Please follow the guidelines described in the Abstract Kit.
Innovation Award for Geophysics
It is with great pleasure that the ICEG sponsors (UAE University and Al Ain City Municipality in collaboration with the SEG) announce an open invitation to all delegates of the 2019 ICEG Conference to participate in a peer-judged competition in search of significant contribution to applied near-surface geophysics. This award focuses on innovative contributions that substantially advance the application of geophysics to near-surface problems.
THE TOP THREE WINNERS OF THE COMPETITION WILL RECEIVE CASH PRIZES OF US$10,000, US$7,000 AND US$5,000
This competition is designed to both attract and recognize internationally renowned and respected researchers in near-surface geophysics and provide a unique opportunity for all in the near-surface geophysical community to judge for themselves some of the most monumental contributions of our time to our science and society. This is the first competition of its kind, and award winners will no doubt establish and solidify themselves as recognized leaders at the forefront of their field.
Meeting attendees wishing to join a distinguished pool of candidates being considered for one of five finalist positions in the Innovation Award oral session should submit a paper and accompanying application, as described on the conference web page.
The submission, review, and winner selection process will generally be as follows:
- Submit abstract via standard submission by deadline for conference abstracts
- Author sends separate email indicating desire to be considered for awards
- Technical committee reviews candidate abstracts for award and creates finalist list
- Selected authors will be requested to submit a white paper and reference letters
- Documents reviewed, five finalists selected to present at pre-conference session
- During pre-conference session, invited judges/reviewers evaluate presentations and materials and make recommendations
- Technical committee reviews recommendations and selects winner
- Awards will be presented during the opening ceremony
Exhibit and Sponsor
Expand your reach to the Middle East, exhibit or sponsor the Fifth International Conference on Engineering Geophysics (ICEG) and gain insight from over 350 attendees from over 30 countries in this highly innovative conference.
For all exhibit and sponsorship inquiries, contact Anneke De Klerk.
For more details on sponsorship levels view the Exhibition & Sponsorship Brochure.
The exhibition will run in conjunction with the conference program. View the ICEG Exhibition Floor Plan.
One booth package: US $1,685
Each 3 m x 3 m = 9 m booth package receives:
- One (1) full delegate registration
- Shell scheme walls
- One (1) desk
- Two (2) chairs
- Electrical supply
Rate is subject to 5% UAE VAT
Sunday, 20 October
5:00 pm - 7:00 pm (Icebreaker Reception)
Monday, 21 October
9:30 am - 4:30 pm
Tuesday, 22 October
9:30 am - 4:30 pm
Wednesday, 23 October
9:30 am - 4:30 pm
Thursday, 24 October
09:30 am - 12:00 pm