Only current Council members are eligible to vote in the Chair of the Council election. The election will be conducted electronically and voting information will be e-mailed by SEG to Council members on 1 June 2021. Voting will close on 30 June 2021.
The newly elected Chair of the Council will assume leadership after conclusion of SEG’s 2021 Annual Meeting, which takes place 26 September – 1 October in Denver, CO, USA and serve until the SEG Annual Meeting in 2024. Upon election the Chair no longer represents a specific District, Technical Section, or Section/Associated Society. The representative for the affected District, Technical Section, or Section/Associated Society will be replaced in accordance with the Bylaws of the SEG. The runner-up in the election will be named Vice Chair of the Council.
Duties of the Chair of the Council
- The Chair of the Council will serve as a full voting member of the SEG Board of Directors.
- The Chair of the Council will call the Annual Meeting of the Council and conduct business as stipulated in the SEG Bylaws and requested by the SEG Board of Directors.
- Communication with the Council is a major function of the Chair. It should be open and widely distributed.
- The Chair is also responsible to communicate back to the Board of Directors on matters of concern to the Council.
- The Chair will author a message to the Council timed to arrive shortly after each SEG Board meeting or more frequently as appropriate.
- The Chair will continuously solicit comments and suggestions from the Council at large.
- If appropriate, the Chair may wish to poll the Council on a given subject but there should sufficient time allotted for discussion prior to the poll.
- The Chair may choose to appoint ad hoc committees to assist him/her or to perform other functions.
- The Chair will serve on the Nominating Committee of the SEG.