The first step is to complete a Phase I application. This application outlines the purpose, team and cost of the project (organizational capacity, project needs and benefits and technical merit). Phase I one applications are completed online and will be evaluated by the GWB Committee after each deadline.
Apply to GWB now
You will be directed to a third-party website, where you will be required to create an account in order to complete your application.
Applicants completing Phase I applications that are selected for Phase II will be asked to submit a full project proposal.
The following restrictions apply to individual project awards.
- The maximum allowable award is USD $50,000.00 per year.
- Proposals may request funding for a project with duration of up to two (2) years under a single proposal.
- Awards may not be used to cover administrative costs not directly related to conduct of the project (indirect costs).
- Proposals must include student participation. Energizing students and introducing them to the broad range of geosciences careers while also strengthening university programs in geophysics and geosciences is a primary emphasis of Geoscientists Without Borders®.
- For-profit organizations are not eligible for funding. Applicants must be charitable, not for profit organizations.
- Unexploded ordinance (UXO) detection projects are excluded.
- Projects that include political lobbying, proselytizing, or other activities that are not pertinent to the mission of the Society of Exploration Geophysicists or the program intent are not eligible for funding. This includes projects submitted by religious or political organizations.
Phase I Applications Selection Process
- Applications for Phase I review will be accepted year round. Applications that arrive by the deadlines of 15 January and 15 July will be reviewed during that cycle. Any applications received after the date will be considered in the next cycle unless withdrawn or replaced by the applicant.
- All Phase I applications will be screened by SEG staff to determine compliance with eligibility and application requirements. Applications that meet initial requirements and are received by the published deadline will be forwarded to the Committee for review.
- The Committee will meet within two to four weeks after receipt of the applications.
- The Committee will select applications that will be invited to submit proposals for Phase II development.
- Upon notification, applicants will have thirty (30) calendar days to prepare and submit a Phase II proposal under the guidelines provided for completing Phase II.
- Applications will be judged after consideration of the following criteria:
- Humanitarian Benefit
- Student involvement and program diversity including partner relationships
- Use of geophysics and other geosciences
Previously Funded Applicants
- Previously funded applicants must complete prior project reports. A summary section of the application must summarize any prior work conducted in order to be considered for funding.
- Previously funded projects/groups that have not demonstrated measurable success or appropriate utilization of SEG Foundation funds will not be considered for future funding years.
- SEG support of ongoing projects will be usually limited to two (2) years. An applicant may apply for additional time (contract extension) and funding rarely over the two (2) year limit if special need can be demonstrated.