Navigate to a section quickly by clicking a link below:
The Society of Exploration Geophysicists (SEG) serves the geoscience community with timely events, helpful information, and networking opportunities, all with the purpose of advancing geophysics today and inspiring geoscientists for tomorrow.
As a valued member of SEG you will receive e-mail and mail notifications. We respect the privacy of all our members and make maintaining the security of your personal information a priority.
To provide service to you, SEG collects certain information, such as, your name, address, telephone number, e-mail address, and other contact, demographic, and billing information. SEG collects this information through a variety of ways, including your Membership application, order forms, and event registrations. This information is collected to allow SEG to plan future programs and services to better serve you and to more efficiently process your transactions.
SEG does not:
- allow nonmembers to view your personal information, such as an address or phone number
- share your personal financial information with outside sources
- sell or rent your e-mail information to outside sources*
- communicate to you how it uses the information collected
- give you the opportunity to correct your information online; members and customers also may contact the SEG Membership Department to review or request changes to personal information
- allow you to manage your e-mail subscription information, including opt-outs
Back to top
Collected Member information is used to provide you valuable member services, such as discounts on publications, Annual Meeting discounts, Professional Development discounts, publications, and catalogs and promotions of publications, meetings, and other products and information of interest to you.
SEG also collects information from customers, both members and nonmembers, who request information or purchase products and services from SEG. This information is collected on an order form, an event registration form, or in another manner. SEG collects contact information (address, phone number, etc.), payment information (an account or credit card number), and other information. This information is used to fulfill orders and to contact the customer as necessary.
The SEG database contains information on members and nonmembers, including authors, exhibitors, advertisers, and service providers, for the purpose of conducting official SEG business.
SEG makes information from its membership database available to other members through the online Membership Directory.
Back to top
The website may use cookie and tracking technology depending on the features offered. Cookie and tracking technology are useful for gathering information such as browser type and operating system, for tracking the number of visitors to the website, and understanding how visitors use the website. Cookies also can help customize the website for visitors. Personal information cannot be collected via cookies and other tracking technology; however, if you previously provided personally identifiable information, cookies may be tied to such information. Aggregate cookie and tracking information may be shared with third parties.
Back to top
SEG collects payment information (such as a credit-card number) for the purpose of completing transactions. SEG does not disclose credit card or other financial information to any other individual or organization with the exception of a third party financial institution that processes credit-card payments. The third party with whom we conduct business is authorized to use your information only to perform the service for which they are hired.
Back to top
Online Collaboration Communities
In addition to the inherent security of the systems that SEG is using, the information technology staff also restricts access to Online Collaboration (OLC) communities and member profile information. The default settings are outlined below.
- OLC committee communities can consist of a public home page and private members-only pages (private home page, private document library, and private discussion forum). Each committee determines the level of privacy and permissions of its public and private pages to some extent. Public pages are open to any person who visits the website. Private pages are inaccessible to anyone who is not signed in and authenticated as a committee member. All community membership is driven by SEG customer records.
Back to top
My Account and My Public Profile
- My Account
Your online account that you use to complete monetary transactions does not save or display credit-card information. Additionally, all consumer transactions, such as book and course purchases, are completed on a secure and encrypted page.
- Public Profiles
Registered Users - Any non-SEG member who clicks on the Register link on the SEG website and provides a small amount of personal information (e-mail, username, name, address, and password) will receive a Basic Public Profile. This basic profile is viewable to the world and can display the individual's name, photo, company name, current position, a short bio, address, email and the OLC communities to which he or she belongs. By default, the profile is selected to be hidden in the user's privacy settings and will not be returned in the member search results.
SEG Members - All SEG members automatically receive an Expanded Professional Profile, which can display the individual's name, photo, member status, company name, current position, a short bio, contact information (address, phone, fax, email) selected topics of interest, publications and website links, experience, and education. Only SEG members who are signed in will be able to view another SEG member's Expanded Professional Profile. All SEG members who are not signed in, all registered users who are signed in, and the general public will be able to view only the Basic Public Profile information (name, photo, member status, company name, current position, short bio, and the communities to which they belong). By default, the only information that is automatically populated in an SEG member's Expanded Professional Profile will be member name, member status, business address, business phone, business fax, primary e-mail, and OLC communities of which he or she is a member. Company name and current position is displayed from the primary address on record. It will be automatically displayed by default if the primary address on file is the business address; otherwise it will not be displayed until added by the individual to his or her selected primary address. About Me, Topics of Interests, Experience and Connections will remain blank unless populated by the member. Education is populated from the membership application and will remain blank unless selected for display in the user's privacy settings.
- Privacy Settings for Public Profiles
Registered Users and SEG Members can select to hide or display their entire profile, or only select individual fields to display such as education, phone, fax, e-mail, and addresses via their Manage My Account menu, Privacy Settings page, which is available upon successful sign in. The available options are dependent upon the type of profile received. Members receive the Expanded Professional Profile, while Registered Users receive the Basic Public Profile.
Back to top
The SEG Wiki
The SEG Wiki content is collaboratively developed by SEG Members using the MediaWiki software. The content of the SEG Wiki is available to browse by anyone with Internet access. Only SEG Members who are signed in may contribute to its content.
SEG Members who contribute to the wiki create a published page and a public record of every word added, subtracted, or changed. Contributors are identified publicly by their SEG user names as the authors of such changes. All contributions made to an entry and all publicly available information about those contributions may be freely copied, quoted, reused, and adapted by third parties under terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Share-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License and additional terms specified by SEG. Submission of any content to the SEG Wiki implies that contributors agree to the terms of this license and additional terms specified by SEG.
All contributions to a page are generally retained forever. Removing text from a page does not permanently delete it, and anyone may view a previous version of a page using the "Recent Changes" menu. Administrators will remove contributions that are found to violate copyright or are otherwise legally impermissible.
All wiki pages include an additional page for discussion. Privacy expectations apply to discussion pages in the same way they do elsewhere within the SEG Wiki.
SEG has instituted a panel of volunteer SEG Member moderators who have permissions to "roll back" content to any previous version. Edits made to Wiki entries are published immediately to the public. Moderators receive a notification of all edits. They review the edited content and either mark it as patrolled or roll back to the previous version. Reasons for rolling back a contribution will be included by the moderator on the discussion page for the content.
It is incumbent upon all SEG members choosing to edit Wiki entries to represent the Society properly with well-written, concise, and factual information.
Back to top
Standard Best Practices
How can you help us maintain the security of your information and your committee activities and documents? The following outlines some standard best practices that will minimize the chances that someone can view or use your information.
- NEVER disclose your username and password that you use to log in to your OLC community to anyone. Additionally, if you are afraid that you will forget your information, please make sure to save it in a secure place (i.e., a password-protected file or password vault and not on a post-it).
- Set a reminder on your calendar to change your password every 90 days. When the reminder pops up, go to the SEG website, select the Sign In link, and then select the Reset Password link to change your password.
- ALWAYS create a strong password. General guidelines are to choose a password that is at least eight alphanumeric characters long, including both uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers, and at least one symbol (i.e., @, !, etc.). Refrain from using personal or family information (i.e., names or initials, birthdates, anniversaries, etc.) or default passwords (i.e., password, spring2010, etc.).
- Only fill in information on your SEG member profile that you are comfortable sharing with other individuals. If you are uncertain, it is better to leave it blank.
- ALWAYS select the Sign Out link when you are leaving your computer unattended or when you are done with your OLC activities. If you plan on returning to your computer shortly, then at the very least make sure to lock your computer whenever you leave it unattended. This can be done by pressing and holding down the Control (Ctrl), Alternate (Alt), and Delete buttons, and selecting the Lock Computer button.
Please be aware that no computer system and no online presence are ever impenetrable. However, by selecting secure computer systems and products, maintaining and controlling permissions, and participating in best practices, you can effectively mitigate and nearly eradicate any potential breach or compromise of information.
Back to top
We reserve the right to make changes to this policy. Any changes to this policy will be posted to our website. If you have any additional questions, please visit our help page or send us an e-mail.
Back to top
*Mailing list rental
Mailing addresses of Society members may be rented on a case-by-case basis by an outside organization. Member e-mail addresses are not included in these case-by-case rentals. SEG Annual Meeting attendee e-mail information will be available to SEG Annual Meeting vendors (more information is available on the Annual Meeting Registration form). The SEG business office will review the material to ensure appropriateness before mailing. Members can opt out of such mailings on their dues statements or in the demographics section of their membership card. Please send us an e-mail to obtain further information.
Back to top