Thanks to the generosity of our donors, the SEG offers a range of different scholarship opportunities. Funds provided may be applied to tuition, books, and fees.
Scholarships range from $500 to $14,000 USD per academic year; average awards are approximately $2,500. The number of scholarships available depends chiefly upon the number of sponsors and the amounts they contribute. SEG scholarships have been sent to universities all over the world.
- SEG Scholarships are based on merit.
- To qualify, you must be a student who is either:
- Attending high school and planning to enter college next fall;
- An undergraduate or graduate college student whose grades are above average.
- Intending to pursue a college curriculum directed toward a career in applied geophysics or a closely related field, such as geosciences, physics, geology, or earth and environmental sciences.
Online applications are accepted 1 October through 1 March.
Mid-March through mid-May a committee of eight professional geophysicists independently review and rank each application. A consensus meeting is held in late May to discuss the applications and establish a final ranking. Top ranked students are matched with available scholarships. Applicants are notified of results in June.
Oct–Mar: applications accepted
Mar–May: applications reviewed and scholarships assigned
June: applicants notified of results
June–Sep: enrollments verified; acceptance documents completed; funds distributed
How to apply
- Students must include current transcripts
- Must include email addresses for two faculty members who have agreed to serve as references.
- Submit your application online
For more information, contact SEG Scholarships at firstname.lastname@example.org .