9-12 October 2017
United Arab Emirates University | Al Ain, United Arab Emirates
The United Arab Emirates University (UAEU) and Al Ain City Municipality (AAM) in partnership with the Society of Exploration Geophysicists (SEG) are proud to announce the fourth edition of the International Conference on Engineering Geophysics (ICEG). This fourth edition will be October 9-12, 2017 and on the grounds of the UAEU in the Conference Auditorium of the Crescent Building.
The success of the first, second and third ICEGs is reflected by the number of participants and the great interest shown by and feedback from both local authorities and the international geo-community working with geophysical methods applied to engineering, environmental, archaeological, geotechnical, and forensic problems. Overwhelming encouragement from this community has led to the third in the series and decision to extend the fields of interest to a wider range of near surface related specialties including groundwater, time-lapse, security, seismicity, and geothermal to name a few options. Beyond this 2017 event, this world class series will be broadened to allow sharing of the event with other regional partners with equivalent enthusiasm for the application of geophysics to near-surface problems.
The United Arab Emirates is building a sustainable, balanced, and diversified economy to ensure stability and prosperity through innovation and excellence as priorities. This conference has been designed and operated with those attributes and guidelines as drivers. Those priorities speak to social responsibility and strongly signal the need for effective and technically sound engineering geophysics supporting regional growth. Therefore, the conscientious and rigorous application of engineering geophysics has become mandatory prior to approval of any construction project in Abu Dhabi Emirate.
The objectives of the ICEG2017 are to concentrate on global innovation, creativity, advances, and new approaches in the field of engineering/environmental geophysics and in related fields. In addition to the core engineering/environmental and geotechnical focuses of this coming event, special sessions in related applications to Archaeology, Energy, and Forensic Geophysics. In addition, international experts at the very cutting edge of their science or engineering will be delivering keynote presentations on their latest research, experiences, future goals for engineering/environmental geophysics and raising public awareness on the critical role of near surface geophysics.
Technical Keynote Speakers
Chih-Ping Lin, Professor Civil Engineering National Chiao Tung University, Taiwan
Ugur Yaramanci, Former Director Leibniz Institute for Applied Geophysics, Germany
Lee Slater, Professor & Chair, Earth & Environmental Dept, Rutgers University, USA
Fabio Tosti - University of West London
Estella Atekwana - Department of Geology, Oklahoma State University
Xiu Li - College of Geo Engineering and Surveying, Chang'an University
Carlos Santamarin - King Abdullah Univ Science & Technology
Andreas Kemna - Steinmann Institute, University of Bonn
Tomek Herbich - Inst. of Archaeology and Ethnology, Polish Academy of Sciences
Ernst Niederleithinger - BAM, Berlin
Julian Ivanov - KS Geological Survey, University of Kansas
Timothy Johnson - Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
Valentina Socco - Politecnico di Torino - DIATI
Evert Slob - Dept of Civil Engineering and Geosciences, Delft Univ of Technology
Zhaofa Zhen - Department of Geophysics, Jilin University
Xiaolin L. Ho - Technical University of Denmark
Maxwell Meju - Petronas Upstream - Petronas Upstream, Kuala Lumpur
UAE University, Al Ain, UAE is the venue for the meetings, group lunches, and exhibition. We will host the Gala Dinner and social events within the Al Ain City.
Who should attend?
This will be an outstanding venue and opportunity to explore and acquaint with the many applications of near surface geophysics in this rapidly developing region. The mixture of academia, research, government, and industry attendees will provide the flavor, diversity, and challenges of regional problems as well as insights into problems and solutions from other areas around the globe. This is must attend meeting for those in industry looking for business development opportunities in this very active and rapidly developing region. As well, researchers looking for those truly unique challenges, where ground stability, infrastructure, and characterization cross paths with thousands of years of history and cultural development, where the crossroads of many millennium of civilizations are part of everyday engineering problems. Academic and personal growth through information exchange and cultivating of collaborative relationships will no doubt be a principle underpinning that all those that attend will benefit from.
Visa Information/Invitation Letter
Participants in the workshop may generate an official invitation letter from SEG using the "Generate Invitation Letter" button. This form will generate a letter which you can print and use if required. For Visa requirements for entering Dubai, contact the UAE embassy for nearest you. Please note that SEG do not guarantee that you will be granted a visa, nor does it commit SEG to pay any expenses you may incur. It is the sole responsibility of the attendee to obtain the necessary paperwork for entry to UAE.
Generate Invitation Letter
Call for Contributions
Submission Guidelines & Topics
The Technical Committee invites submissions via the SEG website of Extended Abstracts, four (4) pages in length (including figures and references) under the following topics:
List provided for 2017
- Geohazards (Natural and Man-made)
- Engineering Geophysical methods
- Archaeology and Archaeogeophysics
- Soil Characterization and Infrastructure Geoengineering
- Measurement Technology and Data Processing
- Anomaly Delineation and Classification
- Geotechnical Procedures (imaging and monitoring)
- Method Integration
- Environmental and Remediation Innovations
- Environmental Radioactivity
- Recent Advances in Inversion of Seismic and EM
Important: Submission of abstracts less than the required number of pages will be requested for re-submission as a four-page Extended Abstract for consideration by the Technical Program Committee.
Call for Contributions Deadline
NEW DEADLINE: 1 MAY 2017, 5:00 PM CENTRAL TIME
Submit abstract now
Late submissions will not be accepted. You will not be given the opportunity to resubmit a new version of your abstract after the call has closed. Please follow the guidelines described in the Abstract Kit
ICEG highly encourages international and regional students to participate in this much awaited conference. Oral presenters shortlisted by the technically will be receive travel grants to participate in the conference. In addition the ICEG committee will also be awarding 2 best Oral presenters & one poster presenter at the conference gala dinner on Wednesday 11 October 2017
Haydar Baker - Professor, Dept of Geology, UAEU
Rick Miller - Senior Scientist KS Geo Survey, University of Kansas
Jianghai Xia - Distinguished Professor, China University of Geosciences
Khalid Al-Bloushi - Head, Dept Geology, UAEU
Chih-Ping Lin - Professor Civil Engineering National Chiao Tung University
Ugur Yaramanci - Former Director Leibniz Institute for Applied Geophysics
Christopher Leech - Director and Founder, Geomatrix Earth Science LTD
Ala Aldahan - Professor, Dept of Geology, UAEU
Claudio Strobbia - Senior Geophysicist, Total
Lee Slater - Professor & Chair, Earth & Envir Dept, Rutgers University
Hansruedi Maurer - Professor, Dept. of Earth Sciences, Institute for Geophysics, ETH-Zurich
Aman Mwafy - Associate Professor, Civil and Environmental Eng. Dept, UAEU
Steve Sloan - Research Geophysicist, US Army Engineer Research & Develop Center
Remke Van Dam - Research Fellow, Fed. Center of Technol. Educ. of Minas Gerais
Nils Ryden - Associate Professor, Engineering Geology, Lund University
Innovation Award for Geophysics
View at the UAEU website
Top three winners will win US $10,000, $7,000 and $5,000.
ICEG sponsors (UAE University and Al Ain City Municipality in collaboration with the SEG) announce an open invitation to all delegates of the 2017 ICEG Conference to participate in a peer judged competition in search of significant contribution to applied near surface geophysics. This award focuses on innovative contributions that substantially advance the application of Geophysics to near surface problems. The top three winners of the competition will receive cash prices of US $10,000, US $7,000 and US $5,000.
Article 1: Rules and Regulations
Statute of the Innovation Award in Geophysics describes the application and filtration procedure as well as judging and rating the candidates. The nomination for this award is open to all researchers, academics and working groups in the areas of Applied Geophysics. The application file covering the idea, the research, reviews by knowledgeable referees in the research area, and/or its application should be based on the Articles 2 and 3 of the Statute. This Award is linked to the International Conference on Geophysics and Engineering, which is being held every two years and organized by the United Arab Emirates University and Al Ain Municipality.
Article 2: Application Procedure
The following conditions govern applications for Innovation Award for Geophysics:
- Applicants to the Innovation Award must participate in the scientific program of the International Conference on Engineering Geophysics (ICEG).
- The applicant should submit his/her innovative concept in the form of a high quality scientific paper prior to the conference for the purpose of evaluation by the Committee of competent and recognized experts.
- The applicant must provide to the Evaluation Committee letters from two scientific or specialist (referee format) supporting the candidate’s submission.
- The applicant is to provide his/her Curriculum Vitae to the scientific committee.
- The applicant must provide the Committee with a list of the published scientific research related to the innovative concept or discovery.
Article 3: Evaluation Committee
The nominated Evaluation Committee of internationally competent experts will base its selection on the following points:
- The Committee shall select the relevant topics among the applicants who have completed their files in line with Article 2. The Committee will also seek the anonymous opinion(s) of known international expert(s).
- The Committee will select the best five innovative concepts or discoveries based on the evaluations of recognized experts in the particular field of the submission and the Committee.
- The Committee shall judge the selected five finalists’ submissions during a special prize oral session held before the opening ceremony of the conference.
- The committee will select the top three submissions based on the application, journal quality paper, and oral presentation.
- The Evaluation Committee will submit recommendations that will consist of rank order designations with a 100 to 250 word summary of each work and its significance to the science and profession to the Higher Award Steering Committee.
Article 4: The terms and rules of Application
The Evaluation Committee will accept the applications based on the following points:
- The idea must be creative and unique to the applicant (with an innovative character).
- It should have a scientific and practical impact and significance.
- The idea should be well development with a solid quantitative basis.
- It should have a direct and immediate application and practical impact.
- It should have wide application and impact.
- It should have a far reaching and effective applicability well into the future.
Article 5: Award Categories
First Category: The amount of the award to the winner of the first prize is of US $ 10,000 (Ten thousand US dollars)
Second Category: The amount of the award to the winner of the second prize is of US $ 7,000 (Seven thousand US dollars)
Third Category: the amount of the award to the winner of the third prize is of $ 5,000 (Five thousand US dollars)
Application and proposal should be submitted by e-mail to the Award Committee at Award-Geophysics@uaeu.ac.ae.